What is Invisalign?
Invisalign® is a clear, removable alternative to traditional metal braces that is comfortable to wear and just as effective at straightening teeth. The treatment uses a series of custom made “aligners” that move the teeth incrementally and are worn for about two weeks at a time.
Invisalign uses 3-D computer imaging technology to develop a treatment plan that is based on the initial position of your teeth and their final desired position. You simply move through the series of aligners, changing to the next one every two weeks, until the final position is achieved.
Benefits of Invisalign
Some of the benefits of Invisalign include:
- The ability to view virtual results before you even start treatment
- Fewer visits to the dentist – only once every month or two
- Easy removal of the aligners to eat or brush
- A clear treatment option that is less noticeable to others
- An average treatment time of about a year
Invisalign is a wonderful way to continue to enjoy your favorite foods while also brushing and flossing normally, which keeps your teeth and gums healthy. Your dentist will check progression during your visits and will also give you a new set of aligners.
What Conditions Can Invisalign Treat?
Invisalign cannot treat every single orthodontic problem, and it is not available for children. However it can be used to effectively treat some of the most common orthodontic issues found in teens and adults. These include:
- Gapped teeth – due to abnormal jaw growth or missing teeth
- Overbites – when the upper teeth bite over the lower teeth
- Underbites – when the lower teeth protrude past the upper teeth
- Open bites – gaps in the bite that are caused by abnormal jaw structure or excessive thumb sucking as a child
- Crowded teeth – due to lack of space in the jaw
- Crossbites – when the upper and lower jaws are misaligned
Invisalign may also be appropriate for treating other conditions as determined by your orthodontist.
Paying for Invisalign
Invisalign is covered by many dental insurance plans – often at the same level as traditional metal braces! This means that your plan may cover up to $3,500 of your Invisalign treatment at Rodeo Dental & Orthodontics.
If you have a Flexible Spending Account, you can also set aside up to $2,500 to use towards the cost of Invisalign. Other options to help you pay for your treatment include payment plans under widely accessible programs like CareCredit™.
Begining Invisalign Treatment
The first step is to schedule a consultation for yourself (or your teen)with one of our orthodontists. All of Rodeo Dental’s orthodontists are trained in Invisalign and will examine your teeth and jaw to see if you are a candidate for treatment.
If Invisalign is an option for you, the next step is for the orthodontist to create a full treatment plan that is customized to your needs. This plan will include a detailed strategy for your aligner trays and how they will be used, week by week, to move your teeth into their proper position.
You will also be able to see a 3D digital representation of how your treatment will progress and how your teeth will move– before you even receive your first aligner trays! This is a very exciting experience for most of our patients.